Saanich Neighbourhood Place
Minutes 2020/21 AGM
Sept 22, 2021
Minutes 2020/21 AGM
Sept 22, 2021
Sign in and pay membership fees: All present completed. Colin, Dana and Erin Nagle joined by Zoom. All were in British Columbia.
Present: Colin Nicol, Dorthy Rosenberg, Dotan Amit, Erin Holler, Marian DeMonye, Donna-Lynn Thorpe, Dana Christie, Erin Nagle, Corinne Bains
Chair of meeting: Colin Nicol
Minutes recorded by: Dorthy Rosenberg
Meeting called to order at: 6:36 pm
Acknowledgment of Indigenous lands – Saanich Neighbourhood Place Board Chair, Colin Nicol provided a territorial acknowledgement especially recognizing the significance of Sept. 30th, National Day for Truth and Reconciliation.
Welcome – Colin Nicol welcomed all returning SNP members, and new Board candidates, and explained how the Annual General Meeting would proceed.
Highlights of Message from Colin Nicol, Chair of Annual General Meeting:
- 2020/21 was another year of successes and challenges for SNP, the staff and the Board.
- COVID remained a constant throughout the year and the team did a phenomenal job in navigating through the ever-changing circumstances to find new and creative ways of supporting the programs and our guests.
- We built a building which came with a few challenges, excitements, and finally successes.
- The Board worked hard this year in supporting the organization with all committees moving forward with very heavy agendas.
- Special thank-yous to:
- Corinne who was not only the ED but also the Project Manager for the new building, with multiple events converging on her at any one time.
- The staff for all their hard work and dedication to the programs, the guests and the communities we support….and for working alongside Corinne as she diverted a lot of her attention to matters relating to the building.
- The Board for all of their dedicated service, expertise, and considerable amounts of time, not only on the Board meetings and committees, but also for coming out to attend and support meetings with Park, Planning, Builders, Architects, Legal Counsel, the Bank (Credit Union) and also Saanich Council meetings when we are scheduled on their dockets.
- 2020/21 was likely the most challenging ever for SNP but now we can look back, celebrate and feel the rewards that all of that hard work has delivered. This quote is very relevant to the last 12-18 months.
- “The secret of endurance is to remember that your pain is temporary, but your reward will be eternal”
- Or, “Push through the pain, on the other side is the reward”
- We are looking forward to moving into a more normal and operational state.
Approval of Minutes from 2019/2020 AGM – Colin Nicol
Erin Holler moved to accept minutes from 2019/2020 AGM, seconded by Marian – motion passed
The minutes can be found at https://www.snplace.org/annual-general-meeting.html.
Presentation and approval of Financial Statements – Dotan Amit
- 2020/21 had a year-end excess of revenues over expenditures of $134,199.
- There was a decrease in End of Year cash flow but that is not a concern because extra one-time payments were made for the building construction.
- Thank you to Kirsten and Corinne for keeping on top of building costs as well as the normal costs for running Saanich Neighbourhood Place.
Dotan moved to approve the 2020/21 Year End Financials as prepared by Brant Thornton. Dorthy seconded. Motion carried.
Dotan moved to appoint Grant Thornton as the SNP auditors for the 2020/2021 fiscal year. Colin seconded. Motion carried.
Presentation of the Annual Report – Corinne Bains, SNP Executive Director
We successfully procured funding for COVID and for the Childcare Hub project. We are grateful to donors who have stuck with us through COVID.
Staff found new ways to provide service during COVID:
More families served takeout meals than who used to come to sit down dinners
Gift cards for groceries instead of food boxes
Online preschool and story time programming. Dana noted that, “There is good reception in the community for on-line opportunities.”
There is an extreme need for ongoing mental health support.
Almost double the previous staff levels have been hired in some programs.
Everyone is looking forward to a normal year ahead.
The full report is on our website:
Election of the Board of Directors for Saanich Neighbourhood Place for 2020 -2021
“Agencies such as Saanich Neighbourhood Place are governed by a board of directors. This board of directors represents a diverse group of people who are willing to give of their time and energy in a volunteer capacity so that the Executive Director and all the staff at SNP can focus on providing the amazing services that they do. The process to becoming a board member includes contact with either the Chair of the Board or with Corinne Bains, Executive Director. There is a process by which board members are vetted and anyone who is interested can contact the above noted people. One of the duties of the members of SNP, that is all of you sitting here tonight, is to elect a board. SNP bylaws provide that the board establish the election procedures. To ensure that the board has a balance of skills, knowledge and experience that supports the increasing size and complexity of Saanich Neighbourhood Place, the directors are proposing a slate of members to constitute the board for election. I will be presenting a slate of directors to be considered for election at this time. They are as follows:
- Dorthy Rosenberg,
- Dotan Amit,
- Erin Holler,
- Marian DeMonye
- Donna-Lynn Thorpe
- Dana Christie, and
- Erin Nagle
Dotan moved that the slate of board members be accepted as presented, Erin seconded – motion carried.
Request for general questions or concerns – none presented.
Marian moved that the 2020/2021 Annual General Meeting be adjourned. Passed.
Meeting adjourned at 7:11 pm .